Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Vacationing

Such a long time between posts.

All bloggers will tell you: popularity lies in the heart of consistency. Any of the readers that this blog may have managed to garnish are most certainly lost among the many avenues and highways of cyberspace. Alas, Dear Black Void, my only reader, hear me now. Beyond you, sweet unanswering void, this writer relies--with scant hope--on the very few remaining faithful that might be interested in the prospect of new ruminations.

Vacationing. It is so supremely important. Time away to refresh, find inspiration...or perhaps just breathe clearly.

(This is where I insert my excuse.) As a writer, one is always facing internal deliberations, musings, and thoughts. This, as you may or may not understand, can be emotional and therefore tiresome. While writing helps with one's internal processing system, it also asks much of the author. As a result of tiresome blogging efforts, yours truly been on a writing furlough. My pen has up and shimmied on over to Barbados which, by the way, is great this time of year...or at least so says my lapiz.

The more I got to thinking about vacationing, the broader the whole concept seemed...and I like the whole notion. We take vacations away from work and our ideal destination is a place that puts distance between us and the norm. But what else, besides the daily grind, pushes us to answer the call for hiatus? What else must we--vacate? Furthermore, what unconventional means do we employ to achieve our need for respite, if mobile vacating is not an option?

I summon your ideas.

3 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Even Bloggers Get a Vacation

The older I get, the more I realize I am like a child. I'd like to tout my grown up job and car payment as evidential proof of my adultedness, but the truth is at the end of the day, I can't wait to go home and ride my bike. After work my desire to be fed,taken care of, and have my ego stroked for all the "good things" I did today far outweighs my desire to watch the news or philosophically discuss the fundamental problems with our "I-need-it-now" society.

You ask, "What drives us to vacate?" My answer is simply to satisfy the deep yearning within each of us to return to a state of childhood. Now I cringe to even write this, but hear me out: I say it not simply because it is idyllic or romantic, but because it encompasses that which we first understood about what life IS: a place where fun and playing with friends is the main objective and responsibility is an irrelevant word. A place where you inherently know that you always have been and always will be loved, well fed and provided for and it doesn't even occur to you to be grateful. The urge to vacation, is to me, the need to return to a state where reckless enjoyment of life is the norm and caution merely an afterthought.

Most often my daily vacation involves disappearing into a good book. Actually, scratch that - in ANY book. (I could write my own blog on how much I love reading, but here is neither the time nor the place...) Similarly, I will dissolve into a good melody and the secret story behind a song (as cheesy as that sounds) or perhaps lock myself in the bathroom and alternately soak and scrub my hands and feet. (There's nothing like clean skin that's warm and plump and pink from a good soak!) Or sometimes, I simply drink my vanilla tea from my favorite pink mug and contemplate writerly ruminations. ;)

Don't lose heart my friend, I'm still reading, so please keep writing!!

Michael Norwood said...

ahem. Anybody home?

Unknown said...

yeah yeah, finish your thesis. (with love)